PARKING LOT DUST-UP


The other day I was sitting in my car waiting for my wife to  return from the shopping mall. As I watched, a drama began to unfold just one lane over.

A little blue Honda approached a handi-capped space in the crowded lot. The driver had a handicapped parking sticker hanging from her rear view mirror. Just as she began to turn into the parking space a large green van nosed in front of the Honda.


“This is mine,” snarled the lady in the van, “I saw it first.”

“No,” said the Honda lady, “I was here first, and I have a handicapped sticker. Besides, you are going the wrong way. You will have to back up to pull in here and by then I will be parked.”

“You better back up and let me in there or I will get out and kick your butt,” the van lady shouted. She appeared to be very angry.

The lady in the Honda thought to herself. “If I can get into the parking spot it will be very difficult for her to extract me. I can honk to make noise, and if she keeps yelling we should attract some attention. With enough people watching I don't think she can do much to make me move.”

The Honda lady cracked her window and said. “OK, move back a few inches so I can get past you.” The lady in the van gave a little smirk of victory, slipped her car in reverse and backed up just enough so that the Honda whizzed into the parking slot with a blast of her horn. Grabbing her purse, she locked her doors and limped off toward the mall with her cane flying.

The van lady roared her disapproval. Honking her horn she began to curse loudly. By this time a few people had stopped and begun to watch the angry woman who shook her fists and shouted a barrage of insults.

She turned to the laughing crowd to direct her anger at them and noticed that a police car had just pulled up to see what the ruckus was about. “What seems to be the problem ma'am?” the officer asked.

“That little witch just stole my parking place.” she whined, as the crowd burst into laughter.

“I see.” said the policeman, “Would you care to go down to the police station to make a complaint?”

“Uh, no, no that's OK,” she said with a scowl, and began to back away.

Meanwhile, from a short distance away the Honda lady watched with a smile and shook her head. “Thank you Lord.” she whispered.

           G.W. Bill Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are invited.